This page has moved to a new address.

And so it Begins!

Scattered Squirrel: And so it Begins!

March 29, 2012

And so it Begins!



Sort. Toss. Pack. Clean. Repeat!  This is going to be my new routine for the next, however long it takes to sell the house and move!  I have to be honest, packing is not my favorite part of the moving process, and it always feels like there is so much left to pack at the last minute, no matter how far ahead I start.  So, I'm jumping in early, and getting as much done NOW as possible.  I'm sure the kids and I can manage with just the minimum for a while, and I'm sure with careful planning, I can make the last minute packing so much easier.

To help the process along, I've assembled a packing kit!  This way I have only to grab it, bring it to wherever I'm working, and get to work!  Ok, ok, it's easier said than done, but I'm hoping if I keep tell myself it's easy, then eventually I'll believe it. 

Packing Kit

So, let's see what I've got here:
  • Clipboard:  for holding labels once they're made, and the packing list
  • Packing List:  because, this time, I'm determined to have a good idea of where everything is
  • Pen: 
  • Permanent Markers:  for the labels and/or writing on the box
  • Packing Tape:
  • News Paper:  for padding
  • Plastic Bags:  I use them to cover dishes and breakables before wrapping in newspaper.  Makes it soooo much nice when unpacking!
And they all tuck into the bag, ready and waiting for me to tackle the packing.

Just Grab and Go!  
It's not a job I'm looking forward too, but at least I'm not fully prepared to tackle it.   Having the packing list might be adding a little more to the job, but when it comes time to unpack, I know I'm going to be glad I have it.  It's something I mean to do every time we move, and never get around too.  Then we get moved-in and start unpacking, and no matter how carefully the boxes are labeled, we always end up having to open two or three to find one item!  This way, I can just check the list and find the box!  Here's what I did:


free printable inventory home management binder move
Packing List


And of course, I have two copies for you, because it's so much fun to share!  



The packing lists doesn't just have to be used for moving.  You could use it to keep track of seasonal decorations. Or how about hand-me-downs waiting for your little one to grow into them?  If you have items stored in an offsite storage unit, you could keep track of what you have with the list.  Whatever you use it for, I hope you find it useful!

Anyone have any tips for keeping your sanity while packing?  Any tips on balancing the chaos of packing and the need for order for showing the house?  (I could REALLY use some advice on that front)  Leave me a comment, or send me an email (address is on the right hand side of the blog)  I would LOVE to hear from you!

I hope you all are having a wonderful day!  For now, I'm off to get started on packing what I can in the kitchen, oh joy!  ;-)  

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I am sure that your move will go smoothly as it looks like you have everything so well planned and thought out! I think planning makes all the difference! Angie xo

 
At April 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Alli said...

Thanks Angie. I sure hope it goes smoothly. It's been such chaos getting everything ready for the sale of the house, I'm eagerly hoping the move itself goes much smoother!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This post is chauk full of great ideas for moving...pretty please add it to my moving linky party at http://debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com/p/series-on-moving.html . Thanks Alli! -Tabitha

 
At July 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Alli said...

Hi Tabitha, I will gladly link this up if your party is still open. I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Things have been... strange and stressed the last few weeks!

Hope everything is going well with your move!

Alli

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! It means so much to me!

<< Home